Click on the triangle for additional information
Our Director, Dr. Ira M. Klemons, has earned two doctorates. He holds the first Ph.D. in the United States specifically related to the diagnosis and treatment of headaches and facial pain and TM Joint dysfunctions and has over three decades experience in this field.
He is President of the American Board of Craniofacial Pain and holds honors in several related fields: The American Board of Radiofrequency Surgery, American Board of Pain Management Specialties (both under the auspices of the American Academy of Neurological and Orthopaedic Surgeons), and the American Academy of Pain Management.
Among his many other accomplishments are worldwide lectures at medical schools and hospitals, national television and radio interviews, and approximately 5,000 hours of post-graduate courses involving treatment of headaches and facial pain.
Humanitarian visions have inspired Dr. Klemons to treat thousands of under-privileged people, from the hills of Appalachia to Tibetan refugees in the Himalayas, and the lower East Side of New York City. We are proud to say that his compassion for people is present in his approach to every patient seen in our office.
- New York University College of Dentistry D.D.S. 1972,
- Pennsylvania State University Graduate School Ph.D. 1981
- Ph.D. Dissertation: Chronic Head and Facial Pain and Dysfunction: Their Interrelationships, Diagnosis and Treatment by Mandibular Orthopedic Repositioning.
Publications, Teaching, Clinical Experience and Recognitions:
- Visiting Professor, TM Joint Disorders-Graduate Specialty Program, Catholic University, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Numerous lectures and publications internationally on diagnosis, treatment, and surgery for head and facial pain.
- Over Three Decades' Experience Treating Headaches, Facial Pain, and TM Joint Disorders, and approximately two decades experience with Sleep Apnea
- Experience with approximately 20,000 patients and approximately 5,000 hours of post-graduate education.
Honors: (Past and Present)
- American Board of Radiofrequency Surgery.
- American Board of Pain Management Specialties.
- American Academy of Pain Management.
Fellowships: (Past and Present)
- American Academy of Neurological and Orthopaedic Surgeons.
- American Academy of Craniofacial Pain (Founding Member).
- Academy of Medicine of NJ (The education arm of the American Medical Association [AMA] in NJ).
- International College of Craniomandibular Orthopedics.
- Royal College of Surgeons (UK).
Memberships: (Past and Present)
- American Academy of Neurology
- New Jersey Society of Interventional Pain Physicians
International, National, and State Appointments and Recognitions:
- Commended by Resolution of the Senate of New Jersey stating that Dr. Klemons is "honored and saluted for his exemplary devotion and extraordinary service to others ... and for his medical knowledge and proper care for the Third World Nations ... where most of the natives had never before ever seen a doctor ... Dr. Klemons traveled between villages by foot to treat men, women, and children ... He has provided a model of compassion and selfless service toward which others might strive ... This House honors Dr. Ira Klemons, commends his outstanding record of professional excellence and praiseworthy service to others."
- Appointed Impartial Medical Expert in Head and Facial Pain and TM Joint Disorders for the New Jersey Courts by the Medical Society of New Jersey.
- Recipient of the Humanitarian Service Award of the American Academy of Craniofacial Pain.
- MRO Claims Reviewer for head and facial pain and TM Joint Disorders, Robert Wood Johnson Health System Medical Review Organization.
- Expert in Head and Facial Pain and TM Joint Disorders to the Board of Referees and Consultees, India Journal of Dental Research.
- Approved by the U.S. government to provide advanced training to physicians in head and facial pain.
- Appointed representative of the American Academy of Pain Management representing 6,000 physicians and dentists to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Conference on Temporomandibular Disorders.
- Prior member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Craniomandibular Practice, (a peer-reviewed pain and TM Joint disorders) and Medical Editor of the N.J. Trial Lawyer.
- Co-author of a textbook (used internationally), writing on surgery for chronic pain.
- Co-author of a handbook (used internationally) for diagnosis and management of headaches, facial pain, and sleep apnea.
- Elected to Membership in The International Higher Education Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russian Federation.
- Consultant to the medical division of the U.S. Olympic Committee (1984).
- Appointed Police Surgeon and Lifetime Member of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers PBA.
- Invited lecturer to the NJ Medical School, Department of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery, and the Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation.
- Invited lecturer to the Institute for Continuing Legal Education (ICLE).
- As a Member of the National TMJ Impairment Rating Board, Co-authored Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment of the Temporomandibular Joint (Published January, 1989).
Offices Held: (Past and Present)
- President, American Board of Craniofacial Pain.
- Past Chairman, American Board of Radiofrequency Surgery.
- Vice President, New Jersey Society of Interventional Pain Physicians.
- Past Vice Chairman, American Board of Neurological and Orthopaedic Dental Medicine and Surgery.
Hospital and Surgicenter Affiliations:
- St. Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center of NY (Prior)
- Meadowlands Hospital, Secaucus, NJ
- Raritan Bay Medical Center
- Perth Amboy Division
- Old Bridge Division
- St. Mary's Hospital, Orange, NJ (Prior)
- Memorial Medical Center, South Amboy, NJ (Prior)
- Metropolitan Surgical Institute, South Amboy, NJ
Phone consultations with professionals are welcome, or click here to contact us.
Dr. Klemons and our staff would love to meet you in person. Call 732-727-5000 to set up an appointment today.
Patients are referred to us by physicians, dentists, chiropractors, psychologists, physical therapists and other professionals. However, many of our patients are referred by former patients or based on their own decision without the need for a referral.
ACCEPTING PATIENTS FOR TREATMENT OF:
Headaches Pain in the Head, Face, Jaw, TMJ, Eye, and Ear Ringing in the Ears (Tinnitus ) Dizziness Pressure in the Ears Blurry Vision (which comes and goes) Frequent Sore Throats Difficulty Swallowing Sensation of an Object Stuck in the Throat Burning Tongue Sleep Apnea • Snoring • Movement Disorders such as Tourette's Syndrome and Nervous Twitches
Ira M. Klemons, D.D.S., Ph.D., Director, The Center for Headaches and Facial Pain
2045 Route 35 South
South Amboy, NJ 08879 U.S.A.
USA Telephone: 732-727-5000
International Telephone: +1-732-727-5000
See Additional Practice Information Section of this website
Copyright © MCMXCVII - MMX
The Center for Headaches and Facial Pain South Amboy, NJ.
Reproduction or republication is strictly prohibited without prior written permission